Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Misery Logo - Unfinished





Once I was part of a group of people trying to encourage each other to artistry, and the name of our project was Misery Competition.



Backstory: Misery Competition was an idea where one person would come up with a theme, we would all post our entries, and then the person who posted the theme would pick a winner. The winner picked the next theme. It was fun while it lasted.

The first theme was to design a logo for the blog.

How I did it: I decided it would be fun to design one of those things where the word reads the same upside right and upside down (an ambigram). I loosely sketched out the word trying to figure out how to make the letters one letter upside right, and another letter upside down. The plan was to either put the sketch into GIMP and make it a finished piece using the computer or to use a Sharpie or other ink pen to make the letters look finished. The dot on the 'i' was going to be an ink spot when read one way and a blood splatter when read the other.

What I learned: I am really good at starting things, not so good at finishing.

What I might try next time: Taking the project to completion. Maybe I'll use a lightboard to hand-copy this design onto fresh paper and give it another go.

Final Thoughts: Making an ambigram is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment