Friday, August 24, 2012

Crochet Frost Yeti

It's the Northwest New Jersey NaNoWriMo Mascot, the Frost Yeti!

Backstory: I am the Municipal Liaison for Northwest NJ for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, in November every year). We tend to meet in Paneras, Panera tends to have oddly cold air blowing in November, we are a bunch of nerds, and thus - Frost Yeti.

How I did it: I had some blue and green fuzzy yarn I had been given, and thought it would work nicely for an icy creature. Using the basic head, body, and arm patterns from Creepy Cute Crochet (with a few tweaks) I crocheted this adorable creature. The face, chest, and claws are white felt with sparkles in it, which I sewed on by hand. I sewed the eyes and "six pack" with blue thread.

What I learned: Frost yeti can be adorable. Fuzzy yarn can be difficult to see the stitches in, which is bad for finding where you are supposed to put the crochet hook but good for hiding when you missed where you are supposed to put the crochet hook.

What I might try next time: I will put more beads in the bottom to hold the yeti upright (he doesn't always sit straight, it's that big adorable head).

Final Thoughts: This yeti went home with one of our Wrimos at the end of last year's event, so I will probably end up making a new one.



No comments:

Post a Comment