Monday, August 13, 2012

Flashback: Wall Hangings


Years ago, I made wall hangings as Christmas presents for a few of our friends. I don't have pictures of them all, but here's a little info on what I did.


Backstory: I wanted to make something small but personalized for friends as gifts, so I made small wall hangings.

How I did it: Each wall hanging had a main square of fabric with an image appliqued on with Wonder-Under. Most of the shapes were from images I found online or in books. I top-stitched over the appliques to help hold them on. Presumably (I don't really remember) I put right sides together, sewed the front and back and probably some quilt batting, turned and top-stitched around the outside. I put a hanging sleeve on the back of them, but they were also used flat on a table (kinda like a table runner or decoration).

There was a wolf silhouette against a full moon (picture above), a dragonfly (picture below), a tree-of-life (similar to the design used by this artist), and a sword, if I recall correctly.

What I learned: Well, from looking at the pictures I have been able to find, I wasn't so great at making straight lines then, so I guess that got better.

What I might try next time: These were primarily applique, but I've seen some really neat combinations of quilt piecing and applique. I'd probably put a spin on a standard quilt block.

Final Thoughts: It was a while ago so I don't really remember, but I think they were probably well received and I saw them in use in their homes.


No comments:

Post a Comment