Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Warehouse 13 Nail Art

I had a party. We did our nails.


Backstory: I had been seeing all sorts of awesome nail art on the internet, and party food and drinks, and I decided I wanted to play with nails and drink rainbow colored champagne. So I invited a bunch of friends over to my house. Some people tried nail art from various website (cutepolish on Youtube is a great source), some people just tried different techniques, and I decided to try to come up with something based off of the television show Warehouse 13.

How I did it: I chose a base polish color of purple, like the gloves that the Warehouse agents wear when dealing with artifacts. I wanted to do a Tesla gun on one hand, with the lightning-style effect over the rest of the nails. I use Google Image to find a few different pictures of prop mockups and stills from the show, and kinda freehanded it with the colors available, using skinny brushes (if the color came with one) or a toothpick or dotting tools that one of my friends brought. The lightning started out with dark blue polish, which didn't really show well on the purple. Then I added the white, then the silver, then the teal... it kinda spiraled out of control. I wasn't quite sure what I was doing with it.




For the other hand, I decided to do a pocket watch (based on the artifact used on the show, Duarte Barbosa's pocket watch). I figured the chain could wind across the other nails. This I also freehanded with the various tools and polishes.

What I learned: Working with the dotting tools was pretty interesting. I can see how it makes a difference between using brushes, toothpicks, and dotting tools. I am not too bad at painting the nails on my right hand using my left, at least, not as bad as I could be.

What I might try next time: I saw a nail design where the design was done in paint on a ziplock bag, with a clear coat, that was used like a transfer. That could be cool.

Final Thoughts: I had a lot of fun having people to my house, and we had a lot of fun messing around with nail polish.




No comments:

Post a Comment